Dream Theater and John Petrucci fans alike, gather 'round! The Music Zoo is proud to be sponsoring John Petrucci's Guitar Universe event in August at the Glen Cove Mansion! John Petrucci's Guitar Universe is an event for players and music-lovers of all ages, levels, interests, and taste! Artists featured at the 4-day event include Tosin Abasi, Rusty Cooley, Andy James, Tony MacAlpine, Mike Mangini, Andy McKee, Devin Townsend, and Jason Richardson! Whether you are a master player, a beginner, or just an enthusiastic fan, the four day programs offer activities and workshops for you to make the most of. The environment is non-competitive and are strictly about immersing oneself in the joys of music and the lovely surroundings! The Music Zoo will also have an exclusive pop-up store there for all attendees! Limited rooms and new Commuter Packages are still available! Click the link below to get yours and view what's included below!
- The Art Of Tone: Guitars and Amps
- Modal Improvisation
- The Secret To Speed
- How To Practice Successfully
- Crafting The Perfect Riff:
A Deep Analysis of DT, LTE and JP Song Intros
- Melody and Emotion
- OPEN C TUNING Benefits and function
- WHY SO MUCH ECHO? Echo as an improvisational and writing tool
- GUITAR AS A TOOL The function of the instrument as a compositional tool vs a competitive sport
- WRITING TOOLS VS PERFORMANCE TOOLS Endorsements, professional pitfalls, building an efficient work environment for composition
- ALIEN PUPPETS Why sticking to whats acceptable sucks the fun out of art.
- Ear Training
- Getting your drummer to understand timing vs feel.
- Quick development of odd rhythms and pattern recognition.
- Muscle & Mental management for speed and coordination.
- Essential Scale Knowledge
- How to build your own phrases from scales
- Technique basics (sweeping, tapping, string skipping, alternate picking)
- Technique advanced concepts (extension of the above)
- How to write you’re own tracks
- Combining melody and technique for epic song arrangements
- Three ways I approach writing rhythm guitar parts
- How I practice, setting goals and developing a practice schedule
- The importance of understanding intervals.
- Respelling scale formulas to unearth enharmonic equivalents
- 4 note per string scales
- Chop building for beginners and beginning lead guitar and what constructs a guitar solo.
- A Different Approach to Arpeggios/Left Hand Technique
- In depth analysis of Right Hand Technique/Muting
- Writing: Trial and Error for making YOUR perfect riff/solo
- Practice methods and using your influences
- Methodical Picking/String Skipping
- What do YOU want to learn from me?! Q & A
- THE EXTEND RANGE GUITAR ( tuning, scale and arpeggios shapes, chord voicing, open right had technique, tone )
- Rhythmic Concepts ( syncopation, poly-rhythms, ostenatos, iso-rhythms)
- Thumping (slap guitar)
- How to set up and maintain your guitar, everything you need to know – for the experience player
- How to set up and maintain your guitar, everything you need to know – for the introductory player